Thought to share my personal experience on how to link or host an external subdomain (subdomain from a different hosting provider) in GoDaddy’s host account. As this is a useful resource for webmasters or developers.
ok, let me explain to you in detail, here is how it goes…..
What you need to have to be prepared with before you start…..
1. You need to have a domain (ex: maindomain.com) hosted in any other hosting provider other than godaddy.com
2. You need to have a hosting account at godaddy.com
If you meet the above criteria – you can check the details on how to host an external subdomain in GoDaddy hosting!
1. log in to your godaddy.com
2. Click on Hosting Account List
3. Choose your Hosting Account and open the control panel related to the hosting account in which you want to have your external subdomain to be hosted.
4. Under Control Panel and in Settings click on Domain Management
5. Now you see a section called “Assign Domain to Hosting Site”
Make the entries in the following fields:
Domain – enter external subdomain or domain you want to host with GoDaddy and
Domain Hosting Path – instead of having a direct root path better give a specific folder name related to that domain
6. Then click on Add Domain
That’s it !!
Now you have successfully added an external subdomain or domain to your GoDaddy hosting account and your external subdomain or domain is now listed in domain management showing “Pending Setup” as to status.
Just wait for a couple of minutes and you are ready with the setup.
After that you have to go to the external hosting service provider control panel where you have your domain or subdomain, you have to change the DNS settings in their domain or subdomain control panel.
In the DNS Settings section you will find what Type (MX) record you want to change, just choose Type as “A” and give the value/IP as IP which is linked to your existing hosting account at godaddy.com – that IP you can find in GoDaddy’s DNS Control Panel.
After you are done with all the changes/modifications mentioned above, just wait for the DNS changes to be reflected as it may take 12 to 24hrs – depends.
That’s it once the DNS changes are reflected – then your domain or subdomain is ready and is hosted in GoDaddy’s account :)
Cheers! – found this article useful? then why not spread this to all your fellow webmasters or developers.