Do you know an American’s favorite newspaper? Twitter has an answer to this question. The Washington Post, New York Times and USA Today have been identified as the most read newspapers by a study conducted by digital marketing software and services company, Searchmetrics after analyzing their popularity on Twitter.
Searchmetrics came to this conclusion after finding that the Washington Post drives an average 275,193 tweets per week followed by the New York Times with 261,422 tweets per week and USA Today with 149,960 tweets per week.
Let us now take a look at the details of this research! It was an article by USA Today which was posted 408,816 times during 2013 on Twitter which helped the newspaper sit on the top position. The findings of an investigation into the life of Adam Lanza, the lone gunman who shot 26 people at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut helped the Washington Times march towards the position of the second most tweeted newspaper in the US. Marcus Tober, CTO and founder of Searchmetrics identified Twitter as a powerful medium for newspapers to divert people to their content. He is confident of finding many evidences to prove his statement.
Most Popular US Newspaper Websites on Twitter
- Washington Post : 275,193 tweets per week
- New York Times : 261,422 tweets per week
- USA Today : 149,960 tweets per week
- Wall Street Journal : 134,248 tweets per week
- Los Angeles Times : 118,911 tweets per week
- New York Daily News : 51,877 tweets per week
- Chicago Tribune : 17,777 tweets per week
- New York Post : 13,532 tweets per week
- Denver Post : 8,887 tweets per week
- Chicago Sun-Times : 4,982 tweets per week
Most frequently Tweeted Newspaper Website Stories of 2013
- USA Today, Texas gunman brain dead; may be tied to Colo. slayings : 408, 816 tweets
- Washington Post, Newtown shooter Lanza had more than 1,700 rounds of ammunition in his house : 361,259 tweets
- Washington Post, Kenyatta wins Kenya presidential election by narrow margin : 321,262 tweets
- Washington Post, Supreme Court conservatives express skepticism over voting law provision : 308,926 tweets
- Washington Post, Thousands rally outside Supreme Court as it hears cases on gay marriage: 294,681 tweets
- USA Today, Suicide bombers target Afghan security forces : 294,510 tweets
- USA Today, No. 3 Duke gets incredible boost from Ryan Kelly : 265,747 tweets
- LA Times, Working Hollywood: Tattoo artist Dickcherry has lasting influence : 256,117 tweets
- USA Today, Man charged in NY crash that killed couple, baby http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/03/07/manslaughter-charge-expectant-couple-crash/1972313/ : 219,832 tweets
- Washington Post, N. Korea threatens nuclear test, more rocket launches in wake of tightened sanctions : 184,302 tweets
Now a little about Searchmetrics which has helped America identify its popular newspapers is worth mentioning here. It is the best place for any businessman who wants to let the world know about his ideas and goals. With the Searchmetrics Suite you can familiarize yourself with your competitors and plan how to make yourself better. The company is spread all over the world. As a result you can see a Searchmetrics office in Berlin, London, Paris and New York and operates its SaaS software through a network of partners and an online shop.
Guess how many people it employs on an average. As many as 100 people are part of Searchmetrics. Wonderful isn’t it? The proof of its popularity is the fact that big names like T-Online, eBay, Siemens and TUI are proudly associated with it. I’m sure you want to know spicy gossip that got these newspapers their respective positions. For that take a look at the links below.