I am sure you are aware of Twitter Bootstrap, there are many websites using this Bootstrap as a base. Twitter is constantly releasing JS and CSS libraries or frameworks which would be very useful for web developers out there. Now twitter has come up with Typeahead.js which is a fast and fully-featured Autocomplete library that was actually inspired by twitter’s autocompleted search functionality.
The major features of this library are as follows:
- Shows top suggestion as a hint (a background text – means no need to select a particular suggestion, once you feel the background text is what you are looking for then just do tab key)
- Works well with hardcoded or static data as well as with remote data
- The other thing I liked it Rate-limits to cut down the load
- Provides suggestions from multiple datasets
- Customized templates for suggestions to match your sites look n feel
- And most important Right-To-Left (RTL) languages and Input Method Editors support
Actually, this Typeahead allows to prefetch data, which means searching the data on the client-side which would be quick in response and is optimized for quick indexing and searching large datasets on the client-side.