Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a national level fellowship program conducted to identify, select, and encourage, motivated and talented students for a career in research.
- KVPY program was initiated by the Government of India in 1999.
- Since then, KVPY is conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bengaluru on behalf of the Department of Science and Technology (DoST).
- KVPY 2017 is scheduled to be held in the month of November 5, 2017.
- Aspiring candidates can fill KVPY Application Form last till August 23, 2017. It will be available at its official website i.e. kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
- Candidates appearing in KVPY are tested on their knowledge in subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics / Biology (Mathematics or Biology depends upon the stream for which the candidate has applied).
- Those who would qualify for the written exam are called for the interview round. It is the final stage in the evaluation process.
- A final list of selected candidates is prepared by cumulating their performances in both rounds.
- Candidates would be granted fellowship based on the merit cum scholarship list only. That is there is no external mechanism for grant of fellowship in the KVPY 2017.
Here are the 5 key facts that you all need to know about KVPY 2017:
Table of Contents
1. KVPY 2017 Important Dates
Candidates must note down all the important dates before sitting for the exam. Do not miss any of these to avoid any last-minute hassles. Currently, the application process is underway. It will close on August 23, 2017.
|Initial Notification for KVPY 2017 will be released in||July 16, 2017|
|KVPY Application Form will be available from||July 16, 2017|
|Last Date to submit the KVPY Application Form||August 23, 2017|
|Last date to submit Application fee||August 23, 2017|
|KVPY Admit Card will be available from||Mid of October, 2017|
|KVPY Exam is scheduled in||November 05, 2017|
|KVPY Result will be declared on||Third Week of December, 2017|
|KVPY Interview will be scheduled in||Mid of January, 2018 to Mid of February 2018|
2. KVPY Eligibility 2017
Before filling the KVPY Application Form, candidates must check whether all the eligibility criteria are satisfied by them or not. These eligibility criteria would be set by DoST and would be subject to modification (if required).
The detailed eligibility criterion for KVPY 2017 is mentioned below for your reference:
- The candidate must be a citizen of India.
- Candidates enrolled in class XI (in PCM/PCB) during the academic year 2017-18 (SA stream) must have secured a minimum of 75% marks (65% for reserved candidates) in Mathematics and Science in aggregate in class X board exams.
- Candidates enrolled in class XII (in PCM/PCB) during the academic year 2017-18 (SX stream) must have secured a minimum of 75% marks (65% for reserved candidates) in Mathematics and Science in aggregate in class X board exams. They should also secure a minimum of 60% (50% for reserved candidates) in aggregate in their class XII board exams as well.
- Candidates who are enrolled in the first year of UG program (SB stream) in Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology can also apply subject to the condition that they have scored a minimum of 60% (50% for reserved candidates) marks in aggregate in Mathematics and Science subject in class XII board examinations. Apart from this, they must have secured 60% (50% for reserved candidates) marks in the first year of their ongoing UG program.
3. How to Apply for KVPY 2017?
Application form for KVPY 2017 would be made available in online mode only. Candidates would have to visit the official website in order to make an application for the exam.
The step by step registration cum application process is mentioned below for your reference.
A. Registration Process
- Go to the official website of KVPY 2017 i.e. kvpy.iisc.ernet.in
- Click on the link “New Users”.
- A new web page would be opened. Fill in the registration details asked for new users like the Name; E-mail ID, mobile number, etc.
- Click on submit and a new registration ID and password would be sent to the registered E-mail address.
B. Fill Application Form
- Login to the portal using the credentials received through E-mail.
- Fill in the details as per the directions given on the webpage.
- Select the preference, of course, exam center, etc.
- Upload your signature and Photograph (as per dimensions provided in the notification) in .jpeg format.
- Click on submit.
The details regarding the application fee to be submitted by candidates are mentioned below.
4. Details to Fill in KVPY Application Form
Candidates applying for KVPY 2017 shall be required to furnish certain information in the application form. It is to be filled to the best of their knowledge. Candidates must keep their relevant documents ready at the time of filling out the application form.
Following are the details asked in the KVPY application form, along with the required format of their answers:
|Detail Asked||Filling criteria|
|Name||Name of candidate in around 40 to 50 characters|
|Gender||Respective gender of the candidate that is Male, Female, or Other|
|Category||Choose your respective category that is reserved or general|
|Correspondence details||Fill the necessary details like e-mail id, mobile number, and address|
5. KVPY Application Form Correction
The process of application for KVPY 2017 is totally in online mode. The official notification does not mention any procedure for correction of the application form. Hence, candidates are required to apply utmost care while filling the form.
Any mistake, if made in the application form, cannot be corrected at a later stage. However, you may contact the conducting authority for the same. We suggest you to maintain your calm and composure, so as to avoid any possibility of a mistake creeping in.
Question: I have secured 80% overall in the X board examination, but one mark less than 75% in Science, then am I eligible?
Answer: No, you have to satisfy the 75% aggregate criteria in order to be eligible for the exam. However, in case you are a reserved category candidate then you can apply.
Question: How many fellowships would be available for admissions through the exam?
Answer: The number of fellowships to be granted through KVPY is not disclosed by exam authorities. It would depend upon the budgetary allocation of the scheme for that particular year.
Question: What if my computer gets switched off in the middle of me making an application?
Answer: You can resume from where you left off the process as the data filled by you would be saved in the database.
Question: Can I apply for other scholarships if I am granted KVPY?
Answer: No, you cannot avail the benefits of any other scholarship scheme if you are granted the KVPY fellowship.
Question: What if my application doesn’t get submitted?
Answer: In that case, you should contact the exam conducting authority through various communication channels (like a Toll-free number, E-mail, Fax, Message etc.) mentioned on the official website.