App Discovery is a huge hassle after the development of an app. The sheer size of the App Store with millions of apps already crowding makes app discovery difficult.
The search engine is major factor in deciding the glory of the app and its success.
Search in the App depends on the Keywords field and those found under the App Name. The Publisher name and In-App Purchases names are important too. Keyword Optimization is a major step in App Store Optimization for iOS apps.
Keyword Optimization involves brainstorming keywords and key phrases that do not do actual keyword analysis but focusing on search terms relevant but never found in the store. Considering all possible keywords will lead to app success in the App Store
Here are some tips to brainstorm keywords for the app.
Table of Contents
1. Actual Brainstorming Done
- AI does not include culture or history; thus, the human brain is the first and the most important place where the keywords need to be picked from. Write down words that come to mind when thinking about the features and benefits of the app.
- List related keywords and key phrases that include actions, objects, enemies, and challenges. Think about its functionality when it comes to service-based apps and focuses on the problems the app will solve.
- Write down keywords related to the appearance of the app. List down names of the level themes, the names of character styles, the intentions, and the like. Also, mention if your app is relevant for the next platform and the next or not.
- The App Storeâ€™s algorithm supports the use of plural and singular word search results. Still, for other languages other than English, the search engine does not have an intelligent algorithm in place.
2. Use of the Google AdWords Keywords Planner Tool
The Google Adwords Keyword Tool, which is now the Keyword Planner, can find related keywords in a trice. Also, one can find good keyphrases with the keyword list. Complement the list with the competitorsâ€™ keywords and get even more options.
The process includes the following steps:
- Select Tools and Keyword Planner.
- Choose Search for new keyword
- Briefly describe your app and the service it provides
- Put a Wikipedia page connected to your app on the next page to add more keywords
- Use the Product Category to filter the list
- Click Get Ideas to finish the list.
- Select the Keyword ideas tab.
- Your list is ready!
You can add a huge number of keywords to the main list or filter some of the words out. Eliminate extremely specific or very long keywords.
A list multiplier is an efficient tool too. The process of finding keywords is similar to that of the Google Adwords Keyword Planner.
3. Your competitorsâ€™ keywords list
Millions of apps are available in the App Store, and it is a fact that your competitor must be having keywords for similar apps. The apps with similar functionality and theme should be handpicked and assessed for the same art style. Games having the same mechanics can be chosen too.
The main App Store Optimization services include automatic tools like â€œKeyword Spyâ€ that match search results with the keyword or keyphrase so that you get the list with similar fields in the search engine.
Check out reviews of your competitors along with tools like review analysis tools, and the like.
A thesaurus helps find words to describe your app efficiently since it brings in alternate words for a keyword.
One could lose valuable traffic if one is not aware of similar words related to the app. Use Thesaurus.com and Synonym.com for synonymous words and relevant keywords to the app.
5. Search Suggestions
One of the most efficient ways to find valuable keywords and keyphrases is by typing the required keywords in a search engine and wait for auto-suggestions. Google is known for its popularity and quality, while the App Store can post in relevant keywords. Keyphrases are not relevant in the App Store, while condensed forms of sentences work as effective key phrases for your app.
The suggestions bar and the related keywords section in the App store are efficient enough for knowing options. Tools like Ubersuggest helps users with suggestions of top 10 keywords and key phrases for every term you enter.
The tools are surely efficient but wonâ€™t be enough to generate the perfect list of keywords and keyphrases. One should search with an open mind and filter keywords based on relevance and scenarios. Not all tactics are efficient in every case.
The list is an integral part of the Keyword Optimization (KWO) process. Have a great list of keywords and phrases that can be a huge part of the overall App Store Optimization process. In the end, it boils down to your instincts and guts to recount the keyword and synonyms that can serve your app with great search engine rankings and top lists of the App Store.
Image Source: BIGSTOCK