It is an undeniable fact that e-commerce is on the rise. Although online stores might not enjoy the revenue of brick-and-mortar stores just yet, it doesn’t seem like it’ll be long before they get there. That’s why, if you have a product to sell, you should consider investing in an online store.
This is where Magento comes into play. As one of the most popular e-commerce platforms, Magento can help you to create and manage an excellent e-commerce website.
You might be wondering:
“What are the benefits of using Magento? How does it compare to other platforms?”
Well, there are many. Here, we will give you our
Table of Contents
top three reasons why Magento is ahead of the pack.
1. Magento is free!
The community version is completely free to download. What’s more, there are 5,000 Magento extensions, plenty of which are offered for free. This makes Magento perfect for businesses that don’t have a lot of capital to invest.
2. Magento users can rely on top-of-the-line support.
The platform gets frequent updates, ensuring everything is in tip-top shape.
It gets even better:
Magento’s active community and industrious developers are there to help you out if something doesn’t work correctly.
3. Magento websites can have excellent performance.
Website speed is a very hot issue at the moment. So, it’s incredibly important for websites to be fast on both mobile devices and desktop computers.
Luckily, Magento is extremely fast on desktop computers. Moreover, by using the right extension, you can make your Magento site responsive, meaning it has the same performance across all devices. With the right optimization, you don’t have to worry about website speed ever again!
Those are the top three advantages Magento has over other platforms. If you’re interested in learning more about what Magento has to offer, the infographic below is a great place to start.
The magic of Magento – Infographic Transcript
Advanced inventory management, omni-channel marketing, and powerful CMS make Magento the leading e-commerce platform for over a decade now. Every year, Magento handles over $100 billion in gross merchandise volume.
Find out the most interesting facts about magento.
- Magento is downloaded nearly 5K times every day.
- Magento is powering over 25% of online stores.
- Mangeto has a market share of 19.64% in the top 1 milion websites.
- Handled $155 billion worth of online transactions in 2018.
- 69.23% is the average documented online shopping cart abandonment rate of Magento 2.
- Over 250,000 merchants worldwide used Magento to power their online business in 2018.
Magento History Timeline
- 2007: The first public Magento bets version was released on August 31.
- 2009: Magento Enterprise was launched on April 15.
- 2010: Magento had 1.5 million downloads on January 26.
- 2011: eBay acquired Magento for over $180 million on June.
- 2013: Magento selected RackSpace as its platinum level hosting partner on April 8.
- 2014: Magento started to support PHP 5.4 on January 24.
- 2015: Magento became partner with New Relic on August 19.
- 2017: The Magento forum reached 200K members on January 4.
- 2018: Magento Payments was announced on October 9.
- Magento Commerce has raised a total of $272.5M.
- It has 572 monthly app downloads.
- 60% of merchants on Magento Commerce operate hybrid B2B/B2C and B2B2C models.
- Worldwide online commerce sales on the Magento platform will reach $224 billion by 2020.
- Magento economy will reach $13.6 billion by 2020.
- Number of online shoppers served by Magento merchants will increase 200% by 2020.
Companies using Magento
- Fox Connect
- Warby Parker
- Rebecca Minkoff
- Christian Louboutin
- Nestle Nespresso
CMS Market Share
- Market share: 2.4%
- The number of active sites tracked 372.915
- Number of sites in top one million 12.095
Security Stats / Facts
- An attacker is able to brute force requests to the RSS nodes that require admin authentication. This way the attacker coulld guess the admin password.
- An administrator user with access the Braintree payment method configuration can trigger remote code execution through PHP object injection.
- An administrator with limited permissions might be able to obtain information outside of his permissions.
- Admin user can read any file on server and can execue any commands through Varnish.
- Magento confirmed that its e-commerce platform suffered a malware attack that impacted around 5K of its Magento Open Source users.
- Hackers have added 54 extra lines of malicious code in the default configuration file.
- 62% of Magento web stores have at least one ongoing security issue.
- Magento core developers have eliminated more than 20 potential vulnerabilities.
Magento Open Source
- Finding a good host, configuring the installation, and calculating additional coding in the price can make a Magento Community Edition setup with free theme and no external integrations cost around $15K.
Magento Hosting Prices
- Costs of unmanaged hosting start from $10 and can reach up to $250 per month, whilst the price for managed hosting starts at around $30 per month.
- For websites developed on Magento Commerce the price for managed hosting starts from $500 per month for dedicated servers.
- There are over 5K exensions available for Magento, and many of them are free.
- The prices for paid modules start at around $50.
Interesting Facts of Magento
- The name Magento was derived from the color magenta, which was featured in the original logo.
- Devlyn used Magento to sell glasses online through multiple channels and increased their mobile conversion by over 271%.
- Magento’s name and logo are considered to be inspired by tabletop role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons.
- 60% of Magento merchants already sell on Amazon marketplaces.
- Google has revealed that the term “Magento” was searched more than the word “e-commerce”.
- There are 3.8K certified developers listed in Magento’s directory.