No matter how healthy and fit you are, it is essential to factor in the 60+ hour workweeks, which most ofÂ us pull off during a week, not to mention the innumerous obligations that pile on alongside!
Even during those days when you think you can easily squeeze a simple exercise, something or the other comes in your way. And, again, your fitness plan takes a backseat.
Letâ€™s face it: Grabbing something to eat from a vending machine is far easier than whipping up a salad or joining yoga classes or hitting the gym.
Fortunately, there are enough ways which not only boost healthy living but can comfortably fit into your busy work schedule. You can start by incorporating a few of the following tips and then gradually increase your pace accordingly.
- Eat Protein Bar – While it is strongly advised to eat only natural foods to stay healthy, chomping on a protein bar now and then, especially on those days when you donâ€™t have a choice other than junk food, is far healthier. Except for the minimum amount of preservatives that these bars have, they come loaded with carbs, protein, fiber, and many minerals and vitamins, which are good for your health.
- Walk When You Talk – Consider yourself lucky if your job involves talking on a mobile phone! Staying on your feet as much as possible while working or talking on the phone is a fantastic way to shed some extra kilos and keep your metabolism roaring. Similarly, instead of phoning a coworker or sending an email, walk to the desk in person and utilize the time to stretch.
- Prepare Your Meals in Advance – Though you are the one who wants to tread on a healthy path, due to the paucity of time for cooking, you have no other option than eating out. To deal with such a situation, either you can hire a cook for yourself or prepare your meals the night before. You can store your food in the container in the refrigerator and grab them before stepping out in the morning. Though they might not necessarily taste fresh, it is way healthier than eating out. It is the best option for people who are not living with their families.
- Donâ€™t Eat at Your Desk – Though you love multitasking, stay away from it when it comes to food! Multitasking distracts you and leads to overeating, and therefore, to avoid this, take out 10-15 minutes from your busy schedule for your lunch. Because you love doing more than one task at a time, you can use this lunchtime to eat your meals and socialize with others. Isnâ€™t it multitasking?
- Limit your caffeine intake – Many of us have the habit of drinking coffee continuously to stay alert at work. However, refrain from overdoing it as the high intake of caffeine increases not only your weight but also causes gastrointestinal problems.
- Carry Dark Chocolates – Gauge on dark chocolates to curb the craving for sweetness. Not only dark chocolates will keep your cravings at bay, but they will also improve the overall health of your heart. However, make sure that your stash constitutes more than 70% of cocoa and minimal sugar.
- Wear a tracking device – Just like your performance at the office is evaluated based on your work, tracking devices can track and evaluate your health. These devices can show you your sleeping trends or how inactive you have been throughout the day can push you to take some steps towards improving your numbers.
- Go for exercise (i.e., desk exercise) – There are various exercises, movements, like stretching, hand moves, etc., which you can do while sitting in your office chair. Sitting in the right posture and maintaining an optimum distance between your eyes and computer is necessary to stay healthy.
Go with a Health Insurance Policy as a Backup
The above-listed tips can take you on a healthy path; they do not guarantee a disease-free life. In fact, it is our sedentary lifestyle and hectic work schedule, due to which many youngsters are suffering from critical ailments like heart diseases, kidney failure, cancer, etc. Those diseases that were earlier associated with old age have now become the reality of todayâ€™s youth life!
The sad part is that, in a country like India, where one visit to the doctor for ailments like the cold, cough is enough to burn a hole in your pocket, you can easily guess how financially terrible it would be for a family whose breadwinner has been diagnosed with a critical ailment.
While inculcating healthy habits is a good move, it is necessary to buy the right health insurance policy to secure you against critical ailments financially. These health insurance policies pay a lump sum amount, which you can use to pay medical expenses along with recuperation expenses, travel bills, food costs, or even repayment of loan EMIs or credit card bills.
The amount is paid irrespective of the fact of whether the treatment takes place in India or not. Moreover, you can get a payout without submitting hospital bills. Only medical bills confirming the ailment diagnosis are what you require to get your health insurance payout.
Besides offering coverage against critical ailments, these health insurance policies also pay a lump sum benefit on the first occurrence of death or terminal illness.
Remember, you work to live and not live to work. So, while climbing the corporate world’s success ladder, make sure your â€˜Healthâ€™ is also walking with you (in a good spirit!) as your companion.
Follow the above-listed health tips and buy a health insurance policy as a backup!