Breathlessness, scientifically termed as dyspnea, is a medical condition in which a person has breathing difficulty to fully intake air into the lungs.
For some, it’s a regular problem that results due to some underlying issue, while for others it occurs suddenly and leads to a critical emergency as well.
Although severe shortness of breathing problems is treated under medical guidance, thankfully, if it’s minor, then you can easily treat it at home through natural remedies.
On this page
Treatment for breathlessness at home for quick relief
In this article, I have outlined some of the home remedies to get quick relief from breathing troubles accompanied by the reasons behind its occurrence and much more!
For those of you who have little or no idea why you experience breathing difficulties, let me give you all a clear picture of some of the many common factors responsible for the same.
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Air pollution
- Anxiety issues
Below mentioned are a few symptoms that indicate that you are suffering through breathlessness:
- Unable to breathe properly
- Pulse rate increases
- Chest pain
- Breathing troubles that continue even after 30min of rest
- Neck pain
- Cough comes along with bloody mucus
When you are fully aware of the reason behind your breathing problems and it’s not due to some health issues, then you can try any of the following home remedies to get a quick relief at home.
Take a Deep Breath
Deep inhaling helps to provide instant relief whenever you experience shortness of breath. All you need to do it is put your hands on belly and perform deep inhaling and exhaling. Repeat the process for a couple of minutes for the best possible results. Also, make sure that your exhalation is longer than inhalation.
Get into a comfortable position
You should look for comfortable support whenever you go through any difficulties in breathing to relax and breath properly again. When such situations occur, people often experience panic attacks which makes the condition even worse. For that reason, finding a comfortable position is a must to combat such issues that are sometimes life-threating as well.
To get relief from breathlessness, try out the following tips:
- Sit down and lean forward on a table to relax the neck & shoulder muscles
- Lean your back against the wall and remain standing in case you don’t find a place to sit. It may help to give quick overall body relaxation.
- Simple lay down on the bed, then keep the pillows below head and legs for support
Sit in front of the standing fan
It may sound weird, but it is quite effective to provide quick relief from breathlessness. Sitting in front of a fan or using a hand fan creates a feeling that you are inhaling more air, thus help you to breathe more easily. Otherwise, you can also sit in the front of the window or on your balcony whereby you get fresh air right into your nose and mouth.
Take Steam therapy
This is by far the most effective natural remedy to treat breathlessness. Inhaling steam will open any blockage in the nasal passage that further helps to catch a breath. Other than that, it will also remove mucus in the lungs which may help with breathing.
To try inhaling steam at home, do the following
- Fill a bowl with hot water
- Sit down and keep your head under a towel
- Deeply inhale stream to reduce breathlessness
It is a great technique to cure shortness of breath at home for quick relief. Performing this breathing exercise helps to improve the air that you are inhaling, which makes it easier to breathe and relax.
On top of that, creating a shield against such illness is the right way to get protection from any respiratory illness. To sum it up, making certain lifestyle improvements can help you to reduce the risk of breathlessness. Here’s are a few of them
- Exercise: Workout every day to stay fit and keep yourself away from respiratory problems. It’s not necessary to indulge in hardcore exercises. A simple walk, brisk walking, dancing will also work well. However, do consult with your doctor before getting started with any exercise.
- Weight loss: If your breathing issues are linked to obesity, then you gotta maintain your lifestyle to lose weight and reduce the ongoing risks. Due to being overweight, you may also find difficulty in breathing while walking, running, exercising, climbing stairs, etc.
- Healthy Diet: Eating processed unhealthy food leads to weight gain that automatically causes respiratory illness. Get rid of that by eating a balanced diet consisting of different green veggies, lentils, beans, walnuts, and fresh fruits. Also, avoid eating in large quantities. Eat-in moderation that includes 4-5 small meals.
- Cut down on sugary drinks & beverages: Sugary drinks are filled up with an excess of chemical preservatives and chemicals that increase the risk of asthma and severe breathing problem as well. For that reason, switch to healthy alternatives available, such as.
- Coconut water
- Lemon water
- Use honey, maple syrup, and coconut sugar instead of sugar
- Eat naturally sweet fruits in moderation
- Drink fresh and natural juices either by juicing at home or through some reliable brand that is selling chemical-free juices in the market.
- Quit smoking and try to avoid second-hand smoking is the correct approach to minimize the risks of lung problems and enjoy a healthy living.
- Try to cover your mouth with a mask wherever possible whenever you come in the exposure to air pollutants.
If you ever experience sudden trouble breathing in and it’s not the result of any overexerted exercise, then seek medical advice to know the possible reasons behind the sickness. Always remember that the doctor knows how to diagnose you properly, for that reason, call for them first before following any of the recommended natural remedies to manage breathing problems.
I wish you a speedy recovery!
Image source: Freepik Premium