Summer’s almost over, but that doesn’t mean you need to say Bon Voyage to weekend getaways just yet! Whether you’re vacationing hours or minutes from home, this is the packing and prep post for you. In this post, we’re taking a look at 5 essentials you’ll definitely want to have handy for your next weekend away.
On this page
1. Smart, streamlined baggage
No matter how long you’re traveling, you should always have a solid set of luggage on your side. If you’re off on a weekend trip, you’ll want something that’s not too bulky, something you can grab and go easily as you pack and unpack, and of course, something that looks stylish, too.
As for longer trips, you’ll want to subscribe to the same set of standards but also ensure that your bag has plenty of space to compartmentalize all of your goods. Having separate spaces for each category of items – your intimates, shoes, and clothes – will help you stay organized throughout the duration of your trip. Plus, if you’re checking off multiple destinations, you’ll be able to access things you need more easily as you travel from point A to point B, and beyond.
As you shop for a set of luggage, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Size: Do you typically carry-on or check-in your bags on most trips?
- Style: Depending on where you’re headed and what you’re doing there, a backpack or duffle may make more sense than a rolling bag.
- Space: Space is probably the most important element to assess as you look for the right luggage for your needs. If a set doesn’t already come with packing cubes, you may want to consider adding them on to make your packing much more efficient.
2. Trip treats
If you’re going on a road trip, outdoor adventure, or even a relaxing staycation, having some treats handy works wonders for maintaining motivation and peak vacation mode, especially if you have little kids in tow! Simply fill up rolling coolers with some yummy sparkling beverages, healthy fruits and veggies, and some indulgent charcuterie snack packs.
3. Comfortable, versatile clothing
If you’re more of a “go with the flow” kind of traveler, odds are, plenty of spontaneous adventures are sure to come your way while you’re on vacay. That means you’ll want to be prepared for any fun that’s in store during your trip. Make sure to pack comfortable and versatile clothing like the following items to make sure you make the most of your adventure:
- Athletic wear
- Sports shoes (bonus if they double as casual wear)
- Dark jeans (can be casual or worthy of a dinner date)
- Graphic tees (cute casual wear and comfy for lounging)
In addition to all of your day-to-day wear, make sure to bring along items specific to your destination – if you’re going somewhere warm, a swimsuit would be a good accessory to have, while cooler weather could call for a heavy jacket and knit sweaters.
4. A good book
There’s nothing quite as relaxing as cracking open a good book while you’re on vacation. There’s something about a quiet beach or mountainside porch that’s the perfect setting for flipping pages. When it comes to picking the right vacation book, it really comes down to personal preference.
Here are a few of our favorites to choose from:
- Essay books (great for picking up whenever you can): Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris, Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby
- Non-fiction: Hood Feminism by Mikki Kendall, Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad, Breath by James Nestor
- Self-help: Get Out of Your Head by Jennie Allen, Untamed by Glennon Doyle, The Ideal Planner by Emma Chamberlain
- Fiction: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng, The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins, Beach Read by Emily Henry, Recipe for Persuasion by Sonali Dev
If you’re more of a listener than a reader, consider downloading an audiobook or check out one of these cool podcasts for your entertainment:
- I’m Grand Mam
- Reply All
5. Travel-sized games
If you’ve got some long travels ahead of you or just have kiddos you need to keep entertained, travel-sized games may be just the trip essential you’ve been missing out on. A deck of cards, fun bingo games, a set of dice, or mini chess and backgammon are all great options to keep everyone entertained and in high spirits all through your holiday!
Did we miss any of your travel must-haves? Let us know in the comment section below.