Thinking about whether to pursue an image design course? Here are some stats to blow your mind away!
- By 2026, the Indian Advertising Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 11% to reach Rs.1253.2 billion.
- There is a huge scope of growth, since Internet penetration in India in 2021, stood at just 45%, while the smartphone penetration was at 54% in 2020.
- Indian media and entertainment industry was at Rs 1,436.00 billion in FY18 and is expected to reach Rs 2,660.20 billion by FY 2023.
- As per the PwC report, by 2025, India’s media and entertainment (ME) sector in terms of both consumer and advertising spend, will grow at a CAGR of 10.75% to reach Rs 4 lakh crore approx.
With such huge market potential, it becomes imperative for the students to take up courses that form the backbone of the media entertainment and advertising industry. Yes, we are talking about pursuing image design courses by students. But what is Image design? What does it entail?
Table of Contents
Image Design entails conceptualizing ideas to communicate messages or information to the masses using visuals. These visuals are created from elements like illustrations, photographs, typography, colors, etc. Image design courses can also be called Communication Design or Visual Communication, or Graphic Design.
Image Design can be used for creating logos, packaging, ads, signage, web pages, digital banners, etc. It facilitates the brand or the company to connect with the target audience.
Skills required for Image Design course:
For a successful career in image design, the following skills are a must:
- Excellent visualization skills
- Creative, artistic & aesthetic sense along with knowledge of colours
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Communication skills
- Innovative thinking to conceptualize ideas for communication
- Understanding of software – Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.
- Attention to detail
- Time management skills
Key roles in Graphic Design Industry are:
- Multimedia Designer
- Web Designer
- Brand Identity Designer
- Creative/Art Director
- Photo Editing/Photoshop Artist
- Product Designer
Image Design course:
Such diverse roles, along with immense market potential, make pursuing of image design course a must. There are many Advertising & Graphics courses available at various colleges.
The duration of the course range from 11 months to 4 years, depending on one’s need and life’s goal. But to enhance opportunities, one should go for long-term courses. To make the right choice of college, one needs to keep in mind the following:
- The media and entertainment industry hires the bulk of the graphic designers coming out of college. Hence ensure that the college of your choice must be recognized by the Media and Entertainment Skills Council.
- A holistic understanding of communication & design using diverse mediums-print to digital must be offered by the college.
- College must provide competencies in the latest software and mobile app mockups
- Internships and industrial projects to facilitate exposure in various industries like Web/mobile app designing, gaming, advertising, pre & post-production in the entertainment industry, etc.
- College must facilitate a strong work portfolio through projects and participation in competitions