This is not just a fact-based contrast among the ergonomics of emails and SMS. But, a big break to where emails can be employed to empower your sales force.
Just like text messages, emails directly land into the userâ€™s inbox. That means email can be persuaded as a powerful tool for one to one communication with your prospects and buyers. Indeed, followed by calls, texts, and voicemails, people prefer emails as a primary mode of communication in their professional and personal lives.
Well, speaking of emails, can you guess the number of email users worldwide?
Believe me, half of the world population has access to email.
Thatâ€™s huge and true at the same time. Eventually, it means there are 3.8 billion email accounts worldwide.Â
So, when it comes to promoting your products and services, emails can act as a trampoline to launch, market, and sell them. All you need to do is collect the email address of your website visitors by asking them to signup for newsletter/ giveaway events/ offers, etc. And, while doing so, you should collect their individual preferences as well. Thus, you can gain insights into the requirements of buyers and segment them accordingly.
Eventually, this will help you send personalized product promotion emails as per the interest of the buyers. Hence, good chances of getting better open, click-through, and conversion rates.
Table of Contents
How Email Segmentation Complements Email Marketing?
Email marketing is all about delivering the right message to the right audience. And, to make it happen, itâ€™s necessary to categorize buyers into various sections as per their preferences. Because certainly, not everyone wants to purchase the same product from you.Â
Thatâ€™s where Email Segmentation comes into the play. Itâ€™s the basic building block of crafting successful email marketing campaigns for a varied user base. To put it all together, email segmentation can be best defined as personalizing the product/service buying experience for your prospects and customers.
Email Segmentation is the Linchpin of Email Marketing
Email segmentation is necessary because you would not want to promote Smart TVs to a buyer who is looking for a smartphone. But, when you do so, itâ€™s called bad marketing. Undoubtedly, it doesnâ€™t yield any good results. As a result, users delete such non-relevant emails or at worse unsubscribe them.
In short, when you have a varied user base, one email canâ€™t fit all. Therefore, you will need a variety of email copies for different products and services to share with the buyers of various colors.
Powerful Email Marketing Drive Better User Engagement, Conversion Rate, and ROI
Good marketing is all about making buyers crave for your products and services at the time when they need it. When done via emails, the definition of marketing shifts a bit. Thatâ€™s because unlike other platforms of marketing, emailing platforms are independent of SEO tactics.
Eventually, it means that you can focus more on writing good copies that strike with your brand, rather than compiling your writing for a specific platform for better reach and engagement. However, while writing emails, you should ensure that they donâ€™t land in the spam box.
Apart from this, here are the characteristics of powerful emails that capture the attention of buyers, take a look at the elements of perfect email marketing:
- User relevant subject line that strikes with buyers
- Insert personalized visual and text content to keep them engaged
- End with the excellent closing line and a great offer
- Keep following segmented users with timely emails
- A/B split test email and their performance for a different set of audience
6 Email Segmentation Tips That You Should Count on
Unsurprisingly, there are hundreds of factors that can be employed while segmenting the user base. For instance, by understanding the demographics, geographics, psychographics, etc. of the buyers, you can thoroughly segment them into different groups and target them accordingly.
However, to keep it concise and meaningful, here is a filtered and clubbed list of email segmentation tips:
Tip 1: Learn about the individual buyerâ€™s persona, preference and taste
At first, irrespective of the gender of the buyers, your focus should be on crafting a personalized experience based on their personality and specific choices. The buyer’s personality defines a lot about their product preferences.
To decode the persona of your buyers, you can ask personal and work-related questions. For instance, you can ask if a buyer is tech-savvy, reads sci-fi books, watches anime tv shows, drives to work, or uses public transport, work position, etc.
These questions might sound obvious to users. But, they can be applied to segment them into specific groups and market products accordingly.
You can also make use of email marketing tools to create specific templates for segmented buyers. So, you can effectively pitch products to the interested ones in their style.
Tip 2: Pitch products as per buyerâ€™s demographics, geographics, and psychographics
All these three can play a prominent role in filtering out and sorting the audience into segments. For instance, a single marketing campaign canâ€™t be promoted to a 22-year old engineering student and a 50-years old retailer. Because, they both have a different lifestyle, income, psychology, behavior, and other factors that can influence their decision-making while making a purchase.Â
This example is suitable to understand that you must categorize buyers into different groups. Thatâ€™s why you should ask questions to the buyers targeting their demographics, psychology, and geographics. Moreover, by doing so, you can boost the ROI of email marketing campaigns by up to 70%.
Tip 3: A/B test and segment buyers on the basis of performance of emails
First thing first, you should try new and different subject lines, infographics, email content and even closing lines while sending emails to the buyers. Then analyze and compare the performance of different sets to understand which one is working for your audience.
Besides, when users keep following your emails, it means they are interested in learning more about your products and services. So, you should segment such users as these are the curious ones that when pursued with a well-crafted strategy can be turned into customers.
Below are some critical email metrics that can be used to understand which users can serve great value to your marketing campaigns.
- Open rate and impressions.
- Click-through rate.
Tip 4: Know the interest level of buyers and segment them accordingly
It is essential to understand at what extent buyers are following your emails. For instance, if buyers are just checking out your emails, it is highly probable that you should mark and segment them as interested ones. Though, it does mean that they are interested in hearing more from you. But, by keeping a tap on them, you can keep them informed with your products and services.
On the other hand, if buyers are clicking on the emails and opening the embedded URLs, then it means they are pretty interested in your emails and products. Such buyers should be treated differently than the previous ones. Therefore, you must design a powerful marketing strategy for such users.
Tip 5: Reignite the sales by segmenting the users who abandon cart
Businesses operating online have the sole end-goal, sales. More sales mean higher customer acquisition and better ROI.
This segmentation tip can help you connect with prospects that added the product in the cart and left. Considering the fact that they are just one step closer to placing the order. So, when you target such users with exceptional offers or brief them about the products via emails, chances are high that they will place their order and complete the purchase.
Tip 6: Care for those who buy your products and care for you
Not many organizations follow this segmentation tip. But, you should be caring for the users that submit their feedback and help you rectify mistakes and perfect your products and services. These are your customers that have already used your products and are sharing their views regarding the same.
By segmenting such valuable customers, you can reward them and make them feel more aligned with your organization. Hence, you get better sales opportunities and ROI of marketing as well.
6 Email Segmentation Tools That Make Good Marketing Good
Email segmentation remains an effective way to reach out to your customers. And now the challenge is how to optimize your emails, so you donâ€™t end up being ignored or unsubscribed. There are some platforms that can charge up your email marketing strategy, some at cost while others at free of cost.
Below find a list of email marketing tools that help you craft perfect emails for your buyers and win them again.
Mailchimp is the most widely used email marketing tool with 11 million customer base and 4 billion audience base. This marketing platform allows you to send emails to thousands of users at once.Â Get started with a free account and add up to 2000 contacts and send thousands of prospects and customers in a month. You can also go for the premium plan that costs $299 per month and gives you access to top-notch features, such as advanced segmentation, multivariate testing, behavior-based automation, and predicted demographics.Â
With Mailchimp email marketing tool you can:
- Easily customize email templates according to the needs of your marketing campaigns to grab the attention of buyers.
- Integrate with your website and e-commerce platform.
- Quickly grow your mailing list by easy to use and customizable sign-up forms that can be embedded on your website.
- Target a specific audience as per their interest and response to your business.
- Get real-time insights about how your email marketing campaigns are performing.
Deployed on more than 1M+ websites, OptinMonster enables you to smartly play email marketing strategy to your audience. With its user-friendly interface, it offers you to handily design and customize pre-defined templates that strike with your marketing strategy. OptinMonsterâ€™s pricing varies from $9 per month for the Basic plan and $49 per month for the Growth plan.
OptinMonster allows you to:
- Build attractive and personalized email marketing campaigns to target the segmented audience.
- Get hands-on Exit-Intent technology, so you can analyze user behavior and connect with them with targeted campaigns when required.
- A/B test the performance of emails to find what works best with your segmented audience.
- Take a step forward with automated email targeting.
- Self segment visitors by asking Yes/No questions.
- Hassle-free integrate API and CRM with Zapier, Hubspot, Marketo, and other tools.
Sender is best suited for small businesses that first want to try out services before buying. You can get started at free of cost or pick a plan that best suits your marketing requirements. With its free plan, you can send up to 15,000 emails per month to 2,500 subscribers at no charge. While the Pro plan costs $10 per month and allows you to add up to 5,000 subscribers and send 60,000 emails.
To make email marketing breeze for you, Sender comes with:
- User-friendly drag and drop email builder that enables you to add and remove graphic elements without any prior knowledge of HTML.
- Quick CMS and API integrations, so you can get hands-on real-time user data.
- Personalized targeting to segment subscribers based on their profile, engagement pattern, etc.
- Web-push notifications for better reach and engagement.
- Easy to create a subscription form on your website and collect visitorsâ€™ information in real-time.
Drip is a powerful email automation tool that offers you to smartly segment your audience and send them timely and personalized emails that drive engagement. You can sign up for Drip and get a 14-days free trial. You can also go for a Pro plan that costs $1,299 per month and enables you to add up to 110,00 users and send 1,320,000 emails. For enterprises, Drip offers customized plans as per the requirements.
With Dripâ€™s email marketing, you can:
- Track user behavior to get a deeper understanding of analytical insights to strategize marketing campaigns for the varied user base.
- Integrate Drip with third-party applications to get and send analytical data.
- Send dynamic, personalized content to the prospects to drive sales in real-time.
- Access analytical dashboard to brief you about revenue per subscriber, engagement metrics such as open rate, engagement, etc.
- Run A/B split test on a varied user base to understand the efficacy of your email marketing campaigns.
Moosend is a gamechanger in the field of email marketing. It makes a breeze to automate the tedious emailing tasks in just a few clicks. All you need to do is select the segmented audience type and assign the emails. It will automatically send emails to the users based on their interaction with the previously send mails. Furthermore, Moosend allows you to begin your email marketing campaigns at no cost. The free plan involves all the core features, unlimited emails, that too without any logo. You can also pick the Pro plan at $8 per month which involves industry-leading features, such as landing pages, transactional emails, etc.
As an email marketing platform, Moosend has a lot to offer, such as:
- With its powerful segmentation feature, you can club buyers with similar intent and send them apt emails.
- It creates eye-catching landing pages in a blink and saves time and web-designing expenses.
- It grows oneâ€™s mailing list around the clock, collects valuable data effortlessly, and shares your forms across all online channels.
- It allows you to get a hands-on detailed campaign performance report for better insights about usersâ€™ activity.
- Itâ€™s easy to integrate with multiple apps to fetch and send crucial information among different tools and channels.
Constant Contact is serving the email marketing industry for the last 20 years. It is an easy to use email marketing platform that allows you to design and customize professional email templates for your audience. The pricing is also affordable than other email marketing platforms. And, by signing up, youâ€™ll get a monthâ€™s free trial after that you can get started with a basic plan for $20 per month or choose Pro plan that costs $45 per month.
Constant Contact comes loaded with unique features and allows you to:
- Use drag and drop builder to design and customize email templates.
- Run targeted marketing campaigns for the segmented audience.
- Automatically send emails to the users that didnâ€™t open your emails in the first place.
- Track email marketing performance in real-time by tracking metrics such as open rate, bounce rate, and click rate.
A single marketing campaign canâ€™t be played to all of your audience. Because for some, it might sound relevant, but for many, itâ€™ll be irrelevant to open a mail that fails to captivate their attention. Therefore, when you are pursuing email marketing campaigns, you should be conscious of what might appeal to your prospects.
Moreover, the hectic process of email marketing can be simplified with email segmentation and effective marketing tools. While segmentation can help you save money and get a higher open rate, click-through rate, and conversion rate, the above-listed email marketing tools can further streamline your business to your audience. These tools come packed with powerful email builder tools that save your time and cost of marketing as well.
Featured image source: Freepik (Affiliate Link)