Everyone on the internet wants to grow their audience, and there are many factors involved when it comes to strategically planning the course of action for that. Along with your brainy ideas and smart strategies, it is crucial to have some extraordinary set of tools.
It is often difficult to find the right tool when provided with so many options to choose from, and there is always a possibility of you not missing out on something that may have made your tasks more manageable.
This problem is widespread, and there are many great solutions out there; one of them is SEMRush, which provides a one-stop-shop kind of service on the platform.
Table of contents
SEMRush is one of the most powerful platforms out there with great tools for SEO, PPC, Content marketing, market research, and social media marketing all in one place.
SEMRush outruns its competitors in the number game, with more than 6 million users worldwide and 820 million domains. It has a massive database of 140 locations and almost 20 billion keywords.
SEMRush comes with three plans, namely 1. Pro, 2. Guru, and 3. Business. Pro is the primary and most common plan that most people buy. It costs around 99$ per month for the pro subscription, whereas guru and business type plans cost for 199$ and 399$ per month, respectively.
Even though SEMRush provides excellent help in growing your audience, it is just a platform that gives you suggestions based on the data it fetches. It will be you who will implement the strategies and cause traffic growth. SEMRush may not work like a magic potion for your online business, but it will save you time and boost work efficiency by 10X.
What are the SEMrush Keyword Research tools?
- In total, there are more than 40 tools that SEMRush provides on its platform. They include tools like auditing tools, keywords research tools, content management tools, and many more.
- Out of these, there are four main tools dedicated to keyword research. With their help, you can find the perfect keywords that make you rank higher and grab more attention.
- Under keywords analytics in SEMRush, you get the overview on the top. As the name suggests, it basically helps you to see the bigger picture.
- Based on the keyword you searched for, the overview page shows you data about its search volume in the whole world and also in the geographical region you have chosen for.
- There is search volume on the left-hand side, followed by the keywords difficulty, CPC, and competition. The keywords problem suggests the difficulty level of that keyword, and CPC stands for cost per click, which is used while doing paid SEM (Search Engine Marketing).
- The keywords overview also gives you data about the results on SERP and Ads. It helps you understand the competition, and you can also get to the actual search results just by clicking on it.
- Then there are trend graphs on the right, which shows the popularity of that specific keyword.
- There are three columns on the bottom side of the overview page, namely keywords variation, questions, and related keywords. These are the features of keyword magic tools, which are also displayed briefly on the overview page.
Keyword Magic Tool
- The Keyword Magic tool is a new tool introduced by SEMrush. It brings automation in keyword research to the next level, where the suggestions given by this tool are not just based on the data but also the well-calculated predictions.
- For example, we humans process language differently. Our machines process it differently; for a machine, â€œhow to start a companyâ€ and â€œstart how company aâ€ maybe a little confusing, but we can understand the gist of it. Understanding how people often do their searches and how they construct their sentences while doing a web search can be leveraged into predicting the phrases that are more relevant and SEO friendly. The magic tool is all about that.
- The Keyword Magic tool suggests the related keywords and provides a detailed analysis of the variations of the same keyword and questions that can be framed around it.
- The keyword manager is the third option available on the list of keyword analysis tools. It is basically a tool that helps you create a bank for the keywords youâ€™re most interested in. it enables you to keep track of the keywords that you need to research about again and again.
- Under keyword manager, you can create lists of the keywords you found relevant in your research, and the save is the. Next time when your auditing tool suggests you take a look at it and make some changes, you donâ€™t have to go all over the overview and magic tool again. Just go to the keyword manager and pick what you need from the list you had already created.
- It basically does what its name suggests; it manages the keywords that youâ€™re most interested in.
Organic Traffic Insights
- This tool provides you with SEMRush analytics data combined with google analytics and googles search console. You get better and optimized insights into the performance of your domain.
- Organic traffic insights include the data of search volume, click-through rate, competitiveness, cost per click, the global search volume of the same keyword, trends, and data regarding SERP.
- User interface
- As the keyword analytic tools are a part of SEMRush, they are as easy to use as SEMRush itself. Its Minimalistic design makes it super easy for you to navigate through the available options.
- The tools are available on the left-hand side of the SEMRush window, and they are well organized. SEMRush shows the data from one tool to another, so it often happens that SEMRush will take you from one place to another without knowing but super easy to understand what connects what.
- As discussed earlier, you get four options under SEMRushâ€™s keyword analytic tool: keyword overview, keyword manager, keyword magic tool, and Ad history.
- With its supermassive collection of keywords and databases, SEMRush has loads of suggestions for you when it comes to keyword research. All of them are well categorized. You can use the filters to obtain the most relevant information possible.
- There is a lot of interlinking, so you donâ€™t need to go to different settings to see additional information. You can explore by simply clicking on the available information, and SEMRush will take you through the path.
Step by step guide to keyword research in SEMRush.
- The first thing you have to do to get started is to go to the keyword overview. When you open SEMRush, there is a list of tools available on the left-hand side of the window, out of which the third option is keyword analytics.
- As we know, there are four tools under keyword analytics, out of which the overview comes first. When you go to the overview page, you will see a search bar along with the nationâ€™s flag in which you want your keywordâ€™s analysis. You just have to type in your keyword and press search.
- It will give you the overview report of the information regarding the keyword you searched for.
- The overview page has organic traffic insights on the top, followed by magic tools suggestions at the bottom.
- You will see the search volume of the keyword in the region you had chosen earlier, along with its comparison with the search volume of the same keyword worldwide and in other countries. The more the search volume, the better is the keyword for SEO.
- There is keyword difficulty, which suggests how easy or difficult it is for this keyword to help you rank in the search results.
- Under that, you get the data about CPC, and the competitiveness of the keyword searched for.
- Letâ€™s search for the keyword â€œclimate changeâ€ in the united states to get a clear picture of the overview window interface.
- For this keyword, you can see that the search volume is very high, as climate change is a widely discussed topic. It shows around 165k volume, which is the average number of monthly searches.
- It shows 88% difficulty for this keyword as there are many people creating content around it, so the competition is high, and ranking is difficult comparatively.
- CPC is 2.8$ and 0.17 com, which is necessary for paid SEM campaigns.
- SERP results show that almost 462 million pages registered for this keyword, and the trend graph shows the overall trend of the searched keyword.
- You can see the variations of the keyword at the bottom. Climate change news has the second most searches, and â€˜what is climate changeâ€™ is the most commonly searched question.
- This brings us to the magic tool of the SEMRush.
- By clicking on the variation suggestions, you will be directed to the magic tool window. You have to choose between the kind of matches that you want to search for like a broad match, phrase match, exact match, and related keywords.
- You can filter your needs based on volume, KD, CPC, Include, or exclude keywords and advanced filters. And the result is shown in the table with the columns of keywords, their volume, trend graph, KD%, CP, Comp., SERP, and products.
- You can analyze the data and choose the one that fits the best of your interests.
- After you complete your research and choose the keywords you want to use, it is required for you to get a place where you can list them, right? Thatâ€™s where the keywords manager comes in.
- Store the one you need on keyword manager, and you can get back to the reports whenever you want.
- The tools provided on these platforms can be used in many ways; it depends on your knowledge of how keywords operate. You can leverage the ease and efficiency provided by the tool to boost the performance of your domain.
- Pricing – one of the most common complaints that people have about SEMRush is with the rates of its plans. Even though there are three separate plans, the cheapest one costs 99$ per month, which can be very expensive for someone who is just getting started.
- Complex – SEMRush can be very confusing at some points, especially if you are new to this platform. It gets better as you use it, but many people find it complicated in the earlier days.
- Short free trial period. – there are only seven days of free trial available for SEMRush. It can be a brief period for a new person to understand what they are paying for truly and if this is going to work for them or not.
SEMRush is an excellent platform for those who want to grow their audience and create relevant content, and keyword research is an essential part of the process. There are many tools available out there for keyword research, and it can be very overwhelming for a new person to choose the right tool for doing keyword research.
SEMRush being a well-established platform, provides one of the best options for keywords researches out there. With the brand name comes the trustability towards the platform.
SEMRush also has the upper hand over its competitors. The number of keywords it has is almost around 20 billion, which is literally twice the keywords in the database of SEMRushâ€™s most common alternative, ahrefs has about 10 billion keywords.
It is a perfect option for those who know the keywords’ operation and want to execute overall optimization. There is no plan, especially for keyword research. You have to go all-in when youâ€™re choosing SEMRush as it has many tools that come along. You may not need other tools that you have been using before.